Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Boy Blunder

That bone-headed boy of mine is back to driving me crazy! If I ever run into his real father again I’ll be sure to let him know what a fool his donation grew up to be.

I’ve worked like a dog to get him where he is today. I’ve spent every penny I earn. I’ve made myself into a complete bitch by bad mouthing every other kid. I’ve humiliated myself by dressing and acting like a complete skank in the presence of any coach or manager. And, of course, I’ve used my position on the school board to end the careers of two high school coaches and an athletic director because they weren’t in tune with my way of thinking. All of this and then finally success – we buy him a spot on one of the Academy teams!

But is he grateful? Oh no! The little shit spends all his time moaning about how he hardly ever gets to play the game anymore. Goes on and on about how he used to play two or three times a week with his club or with his buddies in the indoor league. Keeps telling me that the highlight of his career was some come-from-behind win in a holiday 3v3 tournament with his sister and his cousins from Tucson! Please!

I can’t help but think that the poor demented fool is going to have a hissy-fit when the Academy finally gets round to deciding that High School soccer is a no-no. Bonehead, the boy-blunder, seems to like all that kick and rush stuff with the poor kids.

Why can’t he see that a 30 game per year season is in the best interests of the national team? This country needs him to show a little sacrifice. Doesn’t he realize that elite soccer is not about playing the game you love as often as you can? Doesn’t he realize that it’s got nothing to do with enjoying yourself? Why can’t he understand that the top level of youth soccer is all about being very well prepared for something that you’ll probably never get the chance to do?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, no doubt! All that preparation, giving up all that fun, so he can work hard at possibly playing pro soccer in the US, and make his $30,000 per year MLS Salary.

    ReplyDelete