Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Seven Days Later

Well a full week has come and gone since national signing day and my eldest daughter has still not been committed to any particular institution. The reason for that is she is still weighing up her options and is playing one school off against another to try and tease out a little bit more financial support and some more assurances on playing time in her freshman year. It has got absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the nearest she came to an offer was a National Letter of Indifference from almost every school in the Midwest.

I hear that at the boy’s Academy team practices last Wednesday all the kids in the Class of 2010 were showing up in brand new regalia of the school they had signed for that day. Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Indiana were all represented. Fortunately my son’s t-shirt from the Frankenmuth Zhenders Chicken Frying School of Excellence was still in the laundry.

So, I’ve got to be honest and say that I’m a little bit concerned that my daughter will make the right decision and choose a school that reflects the amount of cash I’ve sunk into travel soccer over the years. I pray that we don’t end up like the poor kid on her team who ended up accepting a spot in a school that doesn’t even have a soccer program in what her mother calls an “educational decision”. There are some crazy-ass parents out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment