Thursday, March 4, 2010

Player Perspective

After coming out of retirement to sub in with the co-ed team last week I’m now fully back in the swing of things with a brand new women’s team. We played our first game last night in an 8v8 over 30 league and have adopted the name “Michigan Cougars”. I have to say that we looked rather comely in our electric blue tops with white shorts, socks and thongs. I’m not sure about the thongs – there is actually more material in the warning label than there is on the thong itself and all it says is not to wear the garment close to an open flame. Well hello!

I’m sporting the number 9 on my shirt which I think reflects my role as an old-fashioned center forward. I’m very direct. I wanted to have the number 38 which was claimed by Jenny ‘Jiggles’ McCartney, but I think she was just boasting. Although we lost the game 2-0 I think we did pretty well and I scored, so how cool is that? The young coach we hired, Santiago Hornedog, said I had great technique and I finished well which is always nice to hear.

Of course we did get some cat calls and some extra ‘coaching’ from a number of the ‘gentlemen’ on the sidelines. It sorta reminded me of my youth soccer days when I used to wonder how my dad was able to ‘instruct’ me from the bleachers in a game he never played?

No comments:

Post a Comment